Sunday, March 05, 2006

Blessed are the Poor in Spirit


Alice and Nicholas were in their new school. Going to a new school can be hard.

They sat together waiting for the bell to ring to start school.

A boy approached them,


"I am James. I can run faster than anyone else in the whole school"

"I am Nicholas and this is Alice. I'm glad that you run fast," Nicholas said.

“Run with me and I will show you how fast I can run. I can beat you."

"I believe you, James. I don't want to run,"

James was insisting, "Yes, you have to run with me. Are you afraid?"

"I am not afraid, I just don't want to run," Nicholas said.

By this time there were a lot of people around. James kept after Nicholas, calling him names until finally Nicholas said,

"OK, I will run with you."

James was laughing when he said,

"We will run to that tree and back. Try to keep up with me."


Ready,
set,
go!

Nicholas ran as fast as he could. He ran to the tree touched it, and started back. James was running as hard as he could too. Nicholas was faster. He touched the tree and started back and James wasn't even to the tree yet. James never touched the tree. He just turned and started back.

James ran fast but Nicholas ran faster. Nicholas won.

Jesus teaches us that when we are humble, as Nicholas was, we get many rewards from Him.


What do you think?
Was that right for James to insist Nicholas run?
Did James want a race with Nicholas to show he was better?
Do you think James was humbled by losing?

What Have We Learnt?

Happy are the Poor in Spirit. This means that Jesus is happy when we are humble. We should not be boastful or selfish. If we do not listen to the words of Jesus we may develop a prideful attitude and think that we are better than everyone. This is not a good thing.

Remember to pray to Jesus and ask Him to give us an attitude of humility. The best model of humility Jesus gave to us is our Blessed Mother. We can ask her to help us become humble like she.

No comments:

Post a Comment